Community Care 2021
In March 2020, the Wikimedia Foundation issued a directive cancelling all in-person events amidst a growing global pandemic. Some Art+Feminism organizers were able to transition to hosting virtual edit-a-thons. However, most Art+Feminism events, including our annual event at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, were ultimately cancelled. Health and safety was the main priority.
As the pandemic continues, affecting regions of our international community in varying degrees, Art+Feminism wants to assert our commitment to community care. We know that some members of our community live in places where there are few to no restrictions on movement: schools, museums, libraries and other places where edit-a-thons have been hosted in the past may be open. Whether or not these institutions are open because of successful public health work, we want to invite you into our practice of community care as we begin a new season of Art+Feminism events. As you prepare for Art+Feminism 2021, we encourage you to consider:
- What is safest for the most vulnerable people who might want to attend your event
- What is safest for staff at venues where you’ve hosted your events
- Your community at large
- Accessibility needs of your community for virtual events. (Note: We’ve expanded our Virtual Event Resources. Fill out this survey to share your experience with past virtual events and let us know how Art+Feminism can support you in hosting one).
We also recognize that not everyone will have the capacity to organize an Art+Feminism Edit-a-thon. There are a number of other ways to participate in our campaign this year:
- Organize a meetup, panel or conversation
- Attend an Art+Feminism event
- Participate in surveys, like “Sharing your A+F Story”
- Participate in conversations, like “Reading Together: Reliability and Multilingual Global Communities Community Conversations”
- Follow us on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Help amplify by sharing our newsletters and social media posts
- Make a donation or help us fundraise
No matter what, we value you as a member of this community. If you are unable to participate in any of these ways, we understand, and look forward to when we can actively engage with you again.